It’s time for a dose of happiness! I, along with any other readers, have been tagged by Paula from Thirteen Thoughts to post about 50 things that make me happy. I strongly believe in the power of practising gratitude, and this is another wonderful way to do just that!
Get that serotonin flowing!
- Tea – How could I kick off this list of things that make me happy with anything other than tea? I drink several cups of tea a day, and at the moment my favourite is a black tea with ginger that my parents brought me back from India. Cups of tea are just so comforting – and tasty!
- Cute stationary – I am an absolute sucker for cute stationary. Every time I set foot in a a kikki.K shop I can hear my bank account weep.
- Big, cozy jumpers – Of which I own several! The uglier the better.
- My family – This goes without saying. My parents, my brother, my grandparents – I love them all to bits and I always love hanging out with them.
- Chris – My best friend and my partner in crime. He always makes me laugh, and he knows exactly how to cheer me up when I need it. He’s pretty great, guys.
- Coffee – Another no-brainer! I’m pretty sure that at least a third of all the blood in my body is coffee.
- My amazing friends – I don’t know what I’d do without these beautiful people.
- Cooking – There’s not many things I love more than cooking up a storm in the kitchen! I love making everything from breads to pickles to cakes to full-blown meals. I find it really relaxing.
- Mobile games – My guilty pleasure. I spend far too much of my time playing mobile games! At the moment I’m loving AbyssRium, Cryptolor and Neko Atsume. I’m also a big Pokémon Go fan!
- Having brightly coloured hair – When I was younger, I has bright red hair for years. After that I toned it down and opted for more natural reds. Just a couple of days ago I dyed it bright pink… and realised I’d forgotten how much I loved it being bright! There’s something about it that just makes me so happy.
- Cheese – Um, duh.
- Netflix – I don’t think there’s been a single day in the last couple of years when I haven’t watched something on Netflix. I’m a huge TV show fan, and I love snuggling up and binge-watching episodes! At the moment I’m really enjoying the new season of Black Mirror, and I’ve just started (and am loving!) Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23.
- A new notebook – I have been known to have several lovely, totally empty notebooks around the house. There’s just something so great about them – perhaps it’s because they’re so full of potential?
- My bed – Who doesn’t love cozying up in their bed? No one, that’s who.
- Rain – My favourite type of weather. The stormier the better!
- Recipe books – I love flicking through and getting inspiration from various cookbooks. I recently got an awesome cookbook of Scandinavian comfort food from my parents, and the recipes are to die for! I have a jar of sour rhubarb in the fridge as we speak!
- Music – I am, and always have been, a huge music fan, and I don’t think a day goes by without my listening to music of some sort. I’m on a huge Ben Howard binge at the moment!
- Big trees – There’s something so majestic about huge, old trees.
- Giving people presents – Christmas and birthdays are my favourite times of the year. I adore giving presents to my friends and family, and I like to put a lot of thought in to what I’m going to get each of them.
- Badass ladies – I am constantly inspired and motivated by the badass ladies in my life, as well as the ones on my TV screen! Michelle Obama, anyone?
- Travelling – I’m sure travelling is on everyone’s happy list. It’s a very surreal experience, to visit somewhere totally new and different, and whether it’s down the road or to a new country, travelling is always sure to make you happy.
- My home – This one goes hand in hand with travelling. It’s so nice being away, but there’s nothing quite like coming home again.
- Fresh mangoes – The ultimate summer food.
- Shoes – I have far too many pairs of shoes – just ask Chris! Don’t underestimate the power of a great pair of shoes.
- Colouring in – I am totally here for the adult colouring in craze that’s hit the world. I love colouring in my Millie Marotta books while I’m watching telly.
- My dressing gown and slippers – Right up there with cozy jumpers!
- Campfires – Camping is so much fun, and there’s just something so lovely and communal about a campfire.
- Reading – If you read this blog, you’ll be aware that I love to read! I’m currently reading 52 books in 52 weeks!
- Alcohol – This makes me sound terrible! I was going to put ‘wine’, but then I thought I’d have to add ‘gin’ too, along with ‘beer’. So I played it safe and simply put ‘alcohol’. I just really like a drink in the evening, okay?
- Picnics – Bonus points if they’re somewhere by the water!
- Millie – My beautiful dork of a cat. She makes me smile so much, and she always jumps up on my chest for a cuddle first thing in the morning. I could honestly gush about her all day!
- Candles – I am a huuuuuge candle fan. There’s just something so relaxing about having candles lit around the house!
- Dancing – I danced a lot in school growing up, and I find it such an amazing form of self-expression and exercise! Now that I don’t dance anymore I miss it A LOT.
- The smell of fresh bread baking – Which, luckily, goes hand in hand with my love of cooking!
- Plants – I grew up in a beautiful garden, so it makes sense that I like to be surrounded by plants now. I especially like adorning my house with indoor plants, my favourite of which is my maidenhair fern.
- Cute animal videos – Who doesn’t love animal videos? My favourite at the moment is this hilarious cat! Bonus points if it’s a cute animal video compilation 😉
- Writing – Which I suppose is fairly self-explanatory considering I run a blog! I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember and it always makes me happy.
- Writing lists – Just like this one!
- Really great lipstick – I rarely wear makeup, but when I do it’s a killer lipstick. Instant confidence boost!
- Ice cream – Cookies and cream is my favourite!
- Op shopping – My mum and I go op shopping regularly, and I love finding all kinds of great clothes and bric-a-brac! Also, we listen to Thrift Shop loudly in the car on the way to the op shops, which makes it extra awesome.
- Going for long walks – This is right up there on my list of things that make me happy. Walking is my favourite type of exercise, and I love exploring my town on foot. My goal this year is to do more bush walks around Tasmania!
- Yoga – Yoga is another one of my favourite ways to exercise, and I love how relaxed and strong it makes me feel.
- Fireworks – Considering it was New Year’s just the other day, I just have to include fireworks in my list! They’re so beautiful, and I love watching the look of amazement on kids’ faces when they see fireworks for the first time.
- Seeing old couples in love – Couples who have been together for years and are still overflowing with love for each other is heartwarming and adorable. I hope I’m like them one day!
- Vinyl records – I have a pretty mean vinyl collection which I’m pretty proud of. I really love the crackly sound they make, and my record player is one of my most prized possessions!
- Going out for a meal – There’s something so nice about getting dressed up and eating a meal at a restaurant. It feels very luxe, and it’s especially nice if you’re sharing it with family and friends.
- Freshly picked flowers – I suppose this relates to ‘plants’ – I love having freshly picked flowers in a vase in my house. It instantly brightens up a room, and makes it feel very homey.
- The smell of eucalyptus – I’m not sure if this is a childhood thing for me, as I would be slathered in eucalyptus rub when I had a head cold as a kid. Now I adore the smell of eucalyptus, and would probably spray the smell around my house if I could.
- You! – I know, I’m a suck-up. Seriously though – every one of you who reads this blog makes me smile, and I couldn’t help but include you in my list of things that make me happy. Just knowing that you’re stopping by and reading what I write feels so awesome, and I appreciate the shit out of every single one of you!
As for tags – I tag you! If you’ve got a blog, website, Facebook page or even just a piece of paper – write your own ’50 Things that Make Me Happy’ list. It’ll put you in such a great mood, and remind you of all the awesome things around you. If you decide to write your own, post the link below – I’d love to check it out!
Happy list making!
* * * * *
~Some links in this article are affiliate links in that if you purchase something from them, it will not cost you any more, but I will earn a small commission. This does not influence my recommendation in any way, I would still use this product even if I were not an affiliate.~